Home » Enthusiasts » Multiple Units » W55024

W55024

The single car DMU was built in 1960 and follows the success of the Gloucester RC&W single car units built in 1958 to replace the ageing GWR railcars.

Later to become Class 121, their design included high density seating with doors to each bay to augment the Pressed Steel Class 117 three car units in the peak hours and to operate singly on lightly used branch lines on the Western Region of British Railways.

The units were originally fitted with B.U.T. (AEC) engines of 150bhp which were later replaced with Leyland 680 type engines. There was a total of 16 units built numbered from W55020 - W55035.

W55024 is currently under active restoration at Chinnor and extensive repairs and refurbishments are taking place during 2017, including the re-fitting of seat frames and re-upholstery. If all goes well then it is hoped that the unit can be returned to revenue service in 2018 (date to be announced nearer the time).



 
Builder
Pressed Steel
Class/type
BR DMBS Single Car
Built year
1960
Status
Under restoration (expected to enter service 2018)
Wheels
2-2w-2w-2 DMR

« Back To Multiple Units