Home » Enthusiasts » Locomotives » 5786 (L92) was at Chinnor from March-Oct 2016

5786 (L92) was at Chinnor from March-Oct 2016

5786 (L92)

Our Locomotive for the 2016 main season was 5786 from the South Devon Railway where she is based. She is owned by the Worcester Locomotive Society, and following her overhaul in 2012, is now painted in London Underground colours and carries the number L92.

5786 is one of the original 57xx Class Pannier tanks designed by C B Collett, and was built at Swindon Works in 1930, as part of Lot 260. She was initially shedded at Aberdare, and by 1948 was at Aberbeeg, and then Cardiff Canton (86C) from 1952 to 1958. Withdrawn from BR service in April 1958, she was sold to London Transport, painted maroon, and numbered L92. She was then based at Lillie Bridge and Neasden depots, where she worked maintenance and rubbish trains until withdrawn from LT service in 1969.

Bought by the Worcester Locomotive Society in September 1969, 5786 was moved to the Severn Valley Railway where she was restored to GWR livery and steamed for a short period. In 1970 she was at the Bulmer Railway Centre in Herefordshire where she was in regular use until that Centre closed in 1993. She then moved to her new base at the South Devon Railway in Buckfastleigh. 5786 has spent 47 years in preservation, longer than her working life which spanned 39 years!

She arrived at Chinnor on 1 March 2016 and departed soon after the Railway closed on 30 October 2016.

Builder
GWR
Class/type
57xx
Built year
1930
Engine output
Power Class GWR C, BR 4F
Engine type
Valve Gear - Stephenson Slide Valve. Working Pressure - 200 psi. Firegrate Area - 15.3 sq ft. Fire tubes - 233 x 1 5/8
Fuel tank capacity
Coal Capacity - 3 tons 6 cwt. Water Capacity - 1,200 gallons
Status
Returned to the SDR in early Nov 2016
TOPS
Route Availability GWR Blue, BR Yellow
Tractive effort
22,515 lb
Transmission
Cylinders - 17 1/2 x 24
Weight
49 tons
Wheel arrangement
0-6-0
Wheel diameter
4 7
Wheels
0-6-0PT

« Back To Locomotives