As part of the Railway's continued expansion we would like to install a locomotive maintenance pit at Chinnor - which means we can hopefully attract owners of 'foreign' engines to bring them to our line (and who will then be confident we are able to provide the full range of facilities owners will expect). Note: Previously we have had owners decline hiring their engine to us due to the lack of facilities, and potential volunteers have shied away due to the onerous working conditions.
After the installation of a pit the Railway will strongly benefit in the following ways:
- There is a wider choice of steam locomotives we can potentially hire / attract to the line.
- Volunteers will be able to service and maintain the steam locomotive(s) in a much more pleasant and easier working environment.
- It will become more appealing for existing and new members to get involved in the Steam Locomotive Department.
- Volunteers in Engineering or Carriage and Wagon will be able to conduct exams on bogies which they currently cannot do easily.
- A revenue stream exists with Mainline Charter companies who may wish to use our pit for maintenance activities.
The cost of a pit will be substantial – more than £50,000 – and that’s using our own volunteers with free labour to help install it!
How can I help?
- We’ve already raised more than £15,000 – enough money to put down a deposit, but clearly, we’ve got a way to go - perhaps you would like to help us get there?
- You can send a cheque, arrange a bank transfer, or donate online - see below please.
- Every single donation is a vote for the Railway to succeed and remember to mention gift aid in the comments section, if you can (we will then contact you via email with an appropriate form attached).
- Every pound counts and so even if you can only give a little, it will all be gratefully received.
Thank you for your generous contribution and it is truly appreciated.