The branch line has been a feature of the local area for over 140 years and the Chinnor & Princes Risborough Railway Association has been running heritage steam and vintage diesel trains for education and pleasure purposes from Chinnor for over 20 years: after someherculean volunteer and fund raising effort the trains now run into and out of the reconstructedPlatform 4 at Princes Risborough.
As most residents close-by the line will know - the heritage operation iswholly run by volunteers and many of whom are also local - these volunteers are the backbone of the Railway: but it means we can only run trains when we have enough volunteers available (mostly on Sundays); on top of that it costs a huge amount of money to keep the heritage line operational and pay for its upkeep - £25 per hour, every hour 24/7/365 without even any wheels turning: to run a steam service, the fuel and hire costs are a staggering £950 per occasion!
It's worth mentioning that the heritage line also contributes to the local economy: wherever possible we purchase locally - as diverse as 100 portions of fish and chips from Kingston Fisheries for a quiz night, quantities of milk, bread and foodstuffs from local shops, or buying materials to support repairs and renewals - for example Chinnor Turf & Paving put in the platform surface for the restored Platform 4 at Princes Risborough; in addition, visitors come from far and wide and spend their money in local shops, pubs and restaurants, including on overnight accommodation etc, which adds to the viability of local businesses.
FROM 12.00 HOURS IT'S HALF-PRICE: £6 FOR LOCAL RESIDENTS IN THE 0X39 & HP27 POSTCODE AREAS:
Valid EVERY DAY THAT THE RAILWAY RUNS until Thursday 31 October 2019 and departing Chinnor or Princes Risborough stations on any daytime trains scheduled FROM 12.00 HOURS ONWARDS - means you could travel for half the full Adult fare at £6 (depending on whether you book online or over the counter - please see below). There are Child reductions too – accompanied 5-15 years go for only £3 (during School Holidays only £1) AND if you book online for any day it's just £1, and 0-4 years travel FREE!
More generally - from midday and afterwards is often a good time to travel - as there are usually more seats available to spread out and enjoy the journey. Our volunteers provide an at-seat service of reasonably priced tea, coffee and light refreshments on the train. Why not make several trips along the line, as your travel is valid for the remainder of the day shown on your ticket.
Please bring with you when you travel an acceptable document as PROOF OF RESIDENCE IN OX39 & HP27 postcode areas and which includes your home address such as: any household utility bill (e.g. gas, electric, water or fixed line telephone); current or old-style UK driving license; bank, building society or credit card statement; local authority tax bill (e.g. council tax); notification letter from the relevant benefits agency confirming the right to benefits or state pension etc.
|The fare offer is valid until 31 October 2019:||In Advance: By 20.00 on day before travel||On the day: Walk up & Buy||Online Agency: Booking Fee|
|Adult (16+ yrs)||£5||£6||£2 per complete booking|
|Accompanied Child (5-15 yrs)*||£1||£3|
|Child (0-4 yrs)||£ Free||£ Free|
*Up to 2 children with a fare paying Adult. Please note there are NO further reductions for Seniors or Adult National Railcard holders.
The ACTUAL DATES on which the Railway operates will vary and as too will the TIMETABLES on any given day. Either refer to the Events Calendar and click on what else is going on that day or more generally refer to the What's On section - just remember to look at the other EVENTS happening on the day to see the relevant timetable please!
If you've missed the previous evening's online booking - no worries - just come along and buy your tickets at the station on the day!
- This 'PROMO' offer is only valid for local residents living in the OX39 or HP27 postcode areas. Your friends and family are also welcome to travel with you as your accompanied guests.
- It is available on any daytime train from 12.00 hours onwards - see the Event Calendar or What's on section of the website for timetables.
- Tickets can be purchased online in advance, or at Chinnor or Princes Risborough (Platform 4) station on the day of travel. If purchased online they will only be dispatched to a bona fide OX39 or HP27 residential address.
- You must have available for inspection ON THE DAY OF TRAVEL an acceptable document as PROOF OF RESIDENCE IN OX39 & HP27 areas and which shows your home address, e.g. any household utility bill; current or old-style UK driving license; bank, building society or credit card statement; local authority tax bill (e.g. council tax); letter from a relevant benefits agency e.g. state pension, etc.
- There is no limit to the number of occasions when tickets may be purchased on the dates shown.
- Only valid on trains departing Chinnor or Princes Risborough stations on the outward journey from 12.00 hours onwards. Return is by any train on the same day. Can be used as a Rover facility for additional journeys on the same day.
- Not valid in any dining accommodation - not valid in the Luncheon Car or in the afternoon Tea Cars. Not valid on any evening dining trains.
- Not valid in conjunction with any other offer, fare category, or promotion.
- Sun 27 Oct 2019
- Book online
- Thu 31 Oct 2019
- Book online